Sunday, October 23, 2011

Belated Update

First of all, I have to apologize to my readers for how long it has taken me to write another post.

I have been BUSY BUSY but happy :) Colter left for his mission 11 days ago and I have been doing anything and everything to stay occupied! There's always the norm: school, homework, sleep, studying, and hanging out with friends. But I suppose my newest news is that I finally got a job!
I'm going to start this Monday for America Reads, a tutoring program for kids ages 1st-6th grade in which they help "at risk" kids to develop better reading, writing and math skills. I'm actually really really excited, and I have great hours, only working Mondays and Wednesdays!

So that is my exciting event today. This weekend I've been pretty busy though: I went to two service projects and met some other MG's (missionary girlfriends)!
First on Friday night, we went to Feed My Starving Children, a place where we pack hundreds of bags full of dry chicken, vegetables, soy and rice and send it off to places around the world that have a lot of starvation and disasters. You should check out the link if you have time, it really is an inspiring program!
It was also a lot of fun, I went with some friends from church and we were TOLD to "use our outside voices" so we had fun getting crazy and racing each other to fill the most bags.

The next day we went to another service project, where we helped clean up and remodel Lodestar, a HUGE homeless shelter in Downtown Phoenix. Me and my "service buddy" Caldwell (above picture, blue stripes) filled 1/6 of a trash bag with about a million cigarette butts that were outside, and then went inside and helped paint their library. It lasted from 730-1230 and we got a lot done with all the help! The coolest part was that we did it with the Mormon Helping Hands program, and we got to wear their cool yellow vests all day! I felt famous!

Later that night (last night), I went to Qdoba's with some of the girls with missionaries from around the area. We had a great night getting to know each other and just being girls, and I'm excited to hang out with them again (possibly in a couple weeks!)Whitni, Kassidi, Tianna, ME, and Chelsea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment